Turns out I'm not the only one who thought the ceremony sucked.
I am incapable to take into account any faults that Franco might have, so I just decided to blame it all on Anne Hathaway. She should've giggled and 'woooo!!' 'ed a little less. Made me not want to giggle or wooo!!.
I know that the Oscars are only an official stage for the rich and beautiful to become more rich and beautiful. But in my household, award ceremonies are awaited like the papal coronation is in the Vatican.
We (my sister and I) cancel all other appointments, order pizza and cheer for our favorites using first names. 'I hope people aren't going to be mad at James after this' , 'Look, Jesse's sitting right in front Jesse I love yauww!!'. Till Ma comes and reminds us that what the fuck were we doing losing our minds over these 'vellai (meaning White in Tamil)' strangers. She thought Anne Hathaway was Julia Roberts.
I must also mention that the Filmfare is also treated by us with as much respect and baseless attachment.
High school is a weird time for everyone.
http://chuckpalahniuk.net/news/tyler-durden-quote-in-high-school-hallway
We all wanted to be just like Tyler Durden. Ironically enough, he wasn't real.
When I was little I wanted to grow up and be an astronaut. Now I want to be Lady Gaga. Fuck outer space. Whatever universe she seems to be living in looks pretty exciting.
I'm dying to watch this Banksy movie that everyone is going insane about.

I love Banksy. When I went to London when I was 15 I saw some of his graffiti and excitedly took lots of pictures.
ReplyDeleteDon't want to blame Franco either, he was hardly there. His twitter pictures were more exciting than the Oscars themselves.
I knew you'd have something on the oscars! :D david letterman had a joke about how in 1987 they cancelled the oscars because all the movies were so shitty (untrue of course) and well, 2010 was quite the doozie.
ReplyDeleteI don't know how i feel about franco, man. i'm too old to get jealous over grown women reacting to a grown man in cultural terms that only teenybopers can approximate, but he seems like one of those sensitive jerks that abound in brooklyn. his acting is decent for hollywood i guess, though his writing is atrocious, but I WILL quibble with how he tries to come across as the regular guy, chilling with my nyu peeps. on vani's suggestion i looked at his twitter and came across this stunning sample of self absorbed self effacement - http://www.whosay.com/jamesfranco/photos/14432
also beef with natalie portman. i will kill her when i'm a despot.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/01/science/01angier.html
fuck her, fuck the myth of meritocracy and fuck the new york times. *meltdown mode activate*
You really should stop ranting about celebrities like that because it does make you look like a jealous girl. The reason why I liked Franco's twitter pictures is because they're the same as a lot of peoples. Goofy phone self portraits, pictures of his family, "OMG IT'S OPRAH! LETS TAKE A PICTURE" (it WAS the Oscars, come on), half eaten food and other random stuff. Everyone has shit like that on Facebook etc. And I don't understand your "beef" with Natalie Portman at all. What are you even trying to say?
ReplyDeleteWould you rather they be like every other vapid movie star and just make sex tapes in their free time rather than pursuing things that they're actually interested in, like an education? Even though they don't really need to? I don't think you have to surrender your identity as a normal person capable with hanging out with other non-celebrities just because you're nominated for an Oscar. Being constantly publicly scrutinized would probably make people hunger for it all the more.
And it's fine if he's on General Hospital and she did that Ashton Kutcher movie. You don't always have to do "cinema"... it's the first rule of Bollywood at least. Smita Patil did her "Dance Dance" along side all her Shyam Benegals and Naseeruddin Shah is notorious for Tridev.
That's what Boman Irani was saying on Koffee With Karan the other day, it's the entertainment business, it's as fulfilling to do crap movies that make people smile and forget their daily life for a couple of hours as to do the intelligent cinema you want to do.
@sap: Oh man, my Bieber post must've sent you into a torrid rage.
ReplyDeleteHe actually is a regular there's nothing that proves he isn't. Those people probably are his NYU peeps.He tweets like any normal popular excited person would.
And why are we even talking about his writing?It's not his job.He's in the news for going to school because WE want to know what James Franco is doing,not necessarily because he wants to tell us.And they all need to have some fun with their career man, can't keep doing 'challenging roles' or whatever.
Sappy, dissing Franco to me and V is telling my mother she shouldn't pray to Lord Sri Narayana every day. Consequences could be severe. Too sleepy to read the Portman article. Don't know what sensitive jerks in Brooklyn are like but they sound hot,I'd like to meet one.
@V:Boman Irani is cool.The Ashton Kutcher movie isn't so bad actually :D
wow, you guys have no sense of humor at all...all i'm saying is that franco is the patron saint of indie movie douchebags who are in denial about the privilege they enjoy. i really have a problem trying to process franco as a human being that goes to a pub on friday and sits in a booth to have a beer with 'his peeps' an act that in and of itself is perfectly innocuous, but the real disingenuousness lies in the fact that he disguises the fact that he knows that everyone knows that it's going to end up in a media format that's going to be purveyed and dissected by thousands. maybe i wouldn't if the movie weren't a commodity that i have to pay $10 to watch. or if franco were really a salaried member of the commune, and everyone in the world had an equal shot at attending nyu to do an mfa in creating writing. sort of pops the bubble of merit and 'talent' doesn't it? and to top that off his whole shtick of 'hey, i'm just a dude that goes to grad school and hangs out in downtown bk to chill. and oh, i hosted the oscars last night btw. no biggie' just pisses me off.
ReplyDeleteshanno, i think so too. i think they would find you equally hot. sensitive hipster jerkoffs and hot indian girls should be in an economics textbook to explain the concept of perfectly coincidental wants in a barter economy.
vani, yes! give me charlie sheen anyday. i think his media crucifixion is the ultimate in american hypocrisy, but let's save that for another day.
re the bieber post - he's harmless and no aesthetic threat, why would i care? :D it'd be like ranting about joey lawrence in the 90s.
don't you see the irony in his being buddies with katie couric and going omg oprah? because he does! ya know why? cause he's a sensitive jerk. i'm the king of tautologies today.
ReplyDeleteuh i should stop pms-ing about this. jesus. i'm just having a really miserable day, i already regret saying some of the things i said in the above post, sorry. let me make up for it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amDiIM7hNmY
:D
I wrote that post in complete good sense and YOU'RE the one who came and made one intellectual debate out of it so I'm not the one lacking a sense of humour. But I don't think you're a big fan of regular good humor anyway because otherwise you would realize that James Franco personifies exactly that. He's just a cool guy, that's all. He's probably just living his life man. I don't think he gives a shit about people like you who're sitting around dissecting every thing he does and establishing WHY he does it and then putting him into some sort of category. I suspect an undercover reason to all this anger at Franco, so maybe you should go sort out whatever that is. I haven't read as much Marxist theory as you have so I don't understand half the things you say.LNow if you'll excuse me, I have to go watch pointless American TV and be the idiotic popular culture junkie that you disapprove of.I had to edit quite a bit of my comment to make it polite!hope your day gets better.thoda chill kar yaar sap.Like they say in Delhi, hasne pe tax nahi laga hai.
ReplyDeleteAnd there's nothing wrong with privileges Sap. He's making his money honestly.There's a difference between being a cynic and being constantly disgruntled.You live in one of the best cities in the world go out and party! Because if you want to be disgruntled, you might as well do it in style.
ReplyDeleteI've just been dying to say that :D
Joey Lawrence is almost unbearable.
i love you too shanno :D
ReplyDeleteMy mom is also clueless. She thinks Shweta Tiwari (from Kasauti Zindagi Kii, if you remember) is married to Ronit Roy and refuses to believe that off screen is not always what happens on screen. It's just too funny. Are you sure you want to be Lady Gaga? She's "off beat" alright but I don't want to see you bleach your hair so that people don't confuse you for Amy Winehouse. I think 127 Hours will be as good as attempted suicide for you.
ReplyDeleteI love Gaga she's too much fun. I know more about Shweta Tiwari than I'd like to confess. Remember that I was an religious bigboss follower.
ReplyDeleteYou must watch exit through the gift shop its fascinating! You become even more intrigued by this remarkable remarkable person :) Also have you seen james franco in Freaks and Geeks? And 127 hours is so EH. I mean its better than Slumdog but,really that isnt saying much.
ReplyDeleteVans introduced me to freaksandgeeks a couple of years back and changed my life forever.only one of her many contributions.Also, I think you must copyright 'EH' no one puts it across better than you :)
ReplyDeleteHaha, we watched it that post Christmas night when we "tripped"...after you fell asleep, I watched Speed Racer, drank the last of the vodka and lagaoed jhaadu pocha. EPIC night chahiye. I haven't seen you since fucking Friday! I miss Max and rasam.
ReplyDeleteAh the oscars.Fimlfare shilmfare dont compare!! I got up at 6 to watch. Even tho i was watching by myself!
ReplyDelete"High school is a weird time for everyone. " I still like to atleast THINK that u say that cos of the last phases of it, and it was largely still fun for u :s i guess cos it was atleast the PEAK of MY life, sadly.
I just KNEW you would have been up on time, drinking your gigantic glass of milk and watching :) High school was awesome. I was referring to the weird phases we go thru in it you know there were MANY.
ReplyDeletegiant glass of milk HMPH
ReplyDelete