Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My mother had left me and my younger,but infinitely more responsible young sister home alone for three days. She's gone to spend a romantic weekend with my father in Bombay-leaving me incharge of my house for the first time ever.
Even though Suks is three years younger, she is saner and infinitely more responsible. As V and I drank away our funds, she persisted to buy milk so we could drink tea in the mornings, helped me host my equally drunk friends when they decided to invade parent-free zone.
I spent two days smoking cigarettes and drinking in the living room just because I could, never once switching on a tube-light.
But Ma has returned bearing cupcakes and love to feed and bring us to life.

I turned twenty one about an hour and fifty minutes back. Technically, I was born at 1:15(Oh yeah child of the night) so it's been about half an hour, at twenty one years back that my parents were presented with their greatest challenge.
This birthday, I'm actually in an unexpectedly good mood (surprise yourself-check!). I don't feel angsty, sad, self important. I'm just feeling happy to be around the people I am and looking forward to meet more of them tomorrow. 
For me, deciding to be around the right people was an important lesson. Before learning it ,I was obsessed with a ridiculous ex-boyfriend who I don't even think I liked at a basic level, I hung-out with people if they made me feel better about myself, or if they just smoked endless pot. But then I decided to stop thriving on bad social experiences and do something better with my time, and get high with a little help only from my actual friends. 
I also learnt to do my shit because it was absolutely worth it, and feel content. I learnt to love other cities and all kinds of people. I'm not comparing this year with the last and learnt to celebrate change and not hate it.
I'm still confused, drunk, uncertain, but excited, often sad, vulnerable and emotional but it's not so bad.
I wish I was writing a coming-of-age novel like Martin Amis or JD Salinger, but I'm not even one percent genius or half as mad. 
Now I must get back to best friend beer.





Whatever, I really like this song.

3 comments:

  1. Is this who I think it is? :D Your nickname is making me want to hang out RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read your previous post and couldn't help logging on to the result site and checking it out--damn, nailed it woman, good stuff.
    Oh and btw, you share your birthday with my brother; hope you had a great one.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete