Friday, January 7, 2011

Literally, screwed.

I think Shakespeare would have been as much of a legend if he had JUST written Iago. A character written more than four hundred years back, and he still managed to send a shiver down my spine as I for the first time actually read the play. Iago's clear motive of destruction of all things beautiful and good, without any real personal gain does probably make him the only evil I have encountered in fiction. There's also the Joker,of course.

In the internet lives satan's own soul. I spent all day watching Anthony Hopkins as Othello on youtube, and suddenly found myself on Josh Hartnett speaking about dating Lucy Liu David Letterman show. (He played a charecter inspired by Iago in a high school adapdation of Othello called O). When my mother walked in on me searching 'Josh Hartnett shirtless' is when she established that whatever I was doing was not educational, as I had claimed it to be. I also spent a good amount of hours dancing to Glee videos (my source of chicken soup for the soul) with my sister after which I am in a familiar situation of feeling like my head is splitting open, about 50 tabs of essays are on google chrome, drinking half cups of coffee and feeling nowhere close to asleep. I feel like all I know for my paper tomorrow is that diablo is spanish for devil, but I have been reading (almost) all day so that cannot be true. Pre examination unprepared wallowing never gets old. (Even though it is getting a bit repetitive on the blog, I know. As are bracketed side-notes).And the dangerous part is that I've begun to enjoy it.
 I found not one, but three exam songs.



Like my friend Queer Fish would say about Kishore Kumar. 'Kya aadmi hai dude!!'. And The Stooges are the real crazy motherfuckers of all time. 
Also, if anyone is interested in pulp fiction short stories or just really great illustrations (and I mean REALLY great), please check out the Tehelka Pulp Noir special that is out this month. 


PS: It's so cold it feels like the freakin end of the world. Without Jake Gyllenhall around to make it better. (Refer worst fim EVER- The Day After tomorrow).

8 comments:

  1. That's not true! Desdemona breaks Iago's heart AND he gets dissed by her lover Othello who bypasses him for the promotion (what a jerk! I'd totally commit my life to destroying him)! The Joker also has a chemical accident while attempting to stick it to the man (the company that hires him) which embitters him towards humanity. No one's pure evil. Even Dracula. Even Satan. It's just a case of history being written by winners. There's absolutely no objectivity here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow thanks,DAD! Satan is definitely not evil, I know. Desdemona does nothing of that sort to Iago's heart. He just has the hots for her(like everyone else) but he is in love with no one.Read carefully and you shall see. He yearns for destruction, and yes he wants to be boss, but just seeing Othello spazz like a bitch is triumph enough for him. I didn't say he was pure evil I know that every sort of emotion and impulse is motivated by a factor(s)-internal or external. I don't know what time it is for you but it is four a.m here and I am leaving to die.you're back to being the old professor again aren't you.no hard feelings btw i'm just a kiddin'. except for the professor part that is in all seriousness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Aww, that sucks that you have to pull all nighters. I think I had resolved to not be, um professorial this year...? but i think I've blown it. That resolution has clearly been defenestrated. :D

    Yeah I guess you're right he wasn't in love with Desdemona. But the combination of unrequitedness (fail) PLUS being snubbed by the lover of the woman who snubs him (double fail) must've been too much to take, no?

    It's just that it pisses me off when Republican/conservative types are like 'people are born criminal and they have no shred of humanity', etc - death penalty, hurrah! It's exactly these lessons drawn from Shakespeare line of logic that allow racists to say things like black people are innately prone to crime. it's only 5:30 in the pm but it's cold and dark and I should leave this shitty miserable library too. good luck for the rest of your exams! =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha again you think I'm making relevant political statements. But I'm really not.EVER.All nighters are terrible. But sadly, the only way I know how to do it. Though this year(after this month)things will change. Jan is too early to implement resolutions.Thanks sap,i need every bit i can get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi bro. You put my favourite song in the whole world by my main man Iggy your blog + Kishore Da? I love you even more.
    Today is a total jalti sasein day. Modern India is my favourite paper and so far I have read the introduction to one chapter. So epic failz as usual is going to happen tomorrow. Why is it that we aren't even able to work for the things we like?
    You+me need to run to the hills (run for our lives) and drink lots of wine and freeze our bollocks off (we might have to cuddle for heat, you know body warmth and all that. Ref: Sha's house that night :D)
    PS: I'm sorry I publicize our sex life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAqfsRgX_gE&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha bro, please yaara,you're limiting my chances of courtship through my blog.At sha's house that night I was more wasted than i have been in a long time and you conveniently ignored my jock type statements. 'Im fuckin drunk man,not gay!'. Iggy love is borrowed from you only.We can't work right now cause delhi is so cold that we could actually,be living in hell.don't worry about epic failing we're all in it 2gethaa. Hills I wantss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But everything is politicalllllll! Aaaack! Haha. I think I'll be saner when I've killed my thesis and am standing victorious amidst its bloody entrails. :D

    Vani and I talked about this like a million yrs ago (while discussing the merits of ludacris) but check this out for fun when you have time - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/20/weekinreview/20segal.html

    "Rappers tend to be fans of the Second Amendment, though they rarely frame their affection for guns in constitutional terms. And rap has an opinion about human nature that is deeply conservative — namely, that criminals cannot be reformed. The difference is that gangsta rappers often identify themselves as the criminals, and are proud of their unreformability."

    ReplyDelete