An hour back I started receiving the usual D.U pre exam messages. 'Half of what yu read is waste! Half of da rest yu didn't understand! Half of what yu understand u wnt remember! Half of wt yu remember won't be asked! Enjoy ur exam! :P'
Sorry to break it to you dudes, but I DO understand, and I will remember, and nothing I have read is waste. And I don't love exams, but not for the same reasons 'yu' don't. After studying Western Philosophy for two days continuously, and having my usual 'WHOA,MAN!!' moments of illuminated epiphany, I am still, only half way through my course. I hope I live to see the day when at 9 PM before the day of the exam, I am done. And revising!! An experience I have sadly never encountered. But I realized I don't mind the studying so much. Plato and co are really onto something, man. I want to say what but I have no time. As I stare at my third cup of horrible concoction that I claim is coffee, I know I should get back to the books. I'm also filled with the usual hostility for the guide reading morons who know NOTHING of what they have read but will eventually, still go on to wave their 60 something percentage in my face with a smug smile.
Reading Kant, listening to revolution, smoking and feeling rather...enlightened. But then momentary delusional confidence is what being in college is all about. As my friends (who I have realized are the best people in the world) like to put it- Hum kitne sahi hai.
From the best December EVER, to hopefully a year of more eloquence, adventure, and surprising myself on different fronts.
(Also, I need an exam song. It has to be...you know...comforting. Please contribute)
Look, so pretty! :D
He is everything I want to be, and everything I want to be with. Franco, forever.
And here is why.
Must go put my face in a book or like most of Delhi University likes to put it... EPIC FAIL!
Luck to all my fellow student strugglers for yours. May the force be with.

So uh, now I'm drinking whiskey, eating dark chocolate and reading "Plato and a Platypus Walk Into A Bar" (that might have helped you for your exams btw).
ReplyDeleteAp sent me a text saying "yaar gand nahi phategi toh hum padhenge kaise?" which I thought was the best thing ever because it truly captured the dilemma. We aren't scared. We're never scared. After years of failing/barely scraping through 2 subjects (guess which ones!) even my parents have grown a thick skin. My brother claims he's never actually seen me studying. We had a long conversation last night where I tried to explain to him that arts students can never and will never do the course atleast 3 times or study 45 days (HAHAHAHA) before their exams. Culture shock man, what to do.
'Guide reading morons', yep, it's a pathetic trend. Sort of inevitable when literature is taught like math and studied with a mercenary mind; as always, "It's the damn system!" Just stick to your own standards and disregard everything else, that's my recourse.
ReplyDeleteAs for comforting songs, 'Blackbird' is the first one that comes to mind. And then there's Grateful Dead ('Ripple' for instance, just divine) and of course Bob Dylan.
And damn, I didn't know James Franco was a studmacha! Never really registered, just seemed another forgettable sidey Hollywood guy; maybe it was the stupid 'Pineapple Express' effect.
It's Franco's nonchalance I think that is misinterpreted. Studmacha is by far one my favorite words in the history of lingo borrowed from the south. Dylan is good for all times- rain,chill,dunken celebration,silent comtempelation, and everything else I can think of.
ReplyDelete@ V: Fail hoon main kal.
Whoaho, you know that word! Not bad, really. I hate the fact that I don't get to use it much in Delhi.
ReplyDeleteHaha I wouldn't want to say I'm FROM there, because I'm completely dil se dilli, but I spend many months in a year in Bangalore.second fav city.
ReplyDeleteI miss Bangalore for the cheap but excellent pubs, a drinker's city all around. In Delhi, it's just parks, houses or 'My Bar', can't get myself to fork out 300 bucks for a pint of beer!
ReplyDelete