Today it took me two hours to get to college.
Oh wait, another exciting thing happened today.
I was standing in the customer care line,waiting to recharge my card...when the typical-white haired-obstinate Delhi uncle butts in asking a question on top of my head. When I told him to get in line, he told me ki 'do minute lagega'. When i told him to get in line again, he asked me if my parents hadn't taught me to respect elders. A FAVORITE quotation with middle aged morons all over the country.
When I asked him if he's teaching his kids to break lines, then he glared at me and not-so-silently waited for me to get my card recharged.
There is a word in the hindi language- dheeth.
It is what my dog is when he has an towel/sponge/slipper/onion/piece of clothing in his mouth and despite my mother's vain attempts at chasing him around the house with a rolled up newspaper in her hand like a mad lady...he will not let go.
dheeth, is a word perfect for everybody in this city. big,small,young,old. It doesn't matter what you try to teach them or tell them, it doesn't matter if you wave your middle finger in their face when they stare at your chest.
They will not give a flying fuck and continue to live their lives in the way they want and believe is right.
As the metro (which btw isn't a fucking god sent blessing like it's made to be) crossed the common wealth games village I wanted to lean out and throw up over it-like it was doing on us.
There is another word in the Hindi language- jugaad. It is a word that we, as Indians are most patriotic about. It is ridiculous and funny and unimaginable how they(you know...'them') plan to pull off an international sporting event by some last minute 'ho jaayega'.
Honestly, I don't care about the political dynamics of this whole thing, but I hate what they are doing to the city.
When I was in class five, in my first school, every three months we had a foriegn delegation visiting. So we would wear our best Indian clothes, shower them with flowers, and be on our best behavior. It was a show we put on for these frat-type white people, trying to convince them we weren't uneducated, exotic, half-savage beasts, but one of them. This is what all this feels like.
Except, this is one hell of a large class that they have to instruct propriety into, and I don't think anyone's going to agree to walking in a straight line.
So Aamir Khan should take all his Incredible India ads and shove them wherever he thinks is best.
For REAL, fact-based, anti-state, common wealth trashing I would suggest that you take a look at what the expert professional rebels at Tehelka have to say.
Also, this guy is amazing. Kishore Krishna from Chennai is a one member bedroom band, and his sound is crazy surreal and too awesome.
Adam and the fish eyed poets.
On his debut album Snakeism, I'm quoting somebody who told me about him, 'he's 21 man, and he's making music better than the granddaddys of rock'n'roll'
I completely agree.
Please google/reverbnation/last fm this.
.
I wish my sane delhi-brothers luck with this tragedy that has struck us and I am sure we will survive.Till then, 'samajhdar bano....ghar par raho'. Apparently this is what they've been telling us on radio.
freakin दिमाग खराब, dude.

freakin दिमाग खराब, dude.

Rules:-
ReplyDeleteGiveaway--two vintage wayfarers..Rules:-follow our blog-http://streetstyleindia.blogspot.com/
put a link of the giveaway on ur blog
follow us on twitter--http://twitter.com/StreetStyle_in...
invite your friends to our facebook page-http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Street-Style/264211326027
and let us know what you like best about Street Style
mail us your answers along with the details of ur username on twitter/blog/facebook to sharma.samidha@gmail.com and aastha.atray@gmail.com
Best of luck!
Ha. I nearly broke my hand today, being made into kachoombar in the Hauz Khas metro. I screamed "Bhaiyya! Bacche ki jaan loge! Nichod diya hai!" and people around me laughed, smiled and continued to push. But then there was also the guy on the Noida metro who gave me space in the nook near the door. I blessed him with all my heart, but I don't think my nastik prayers count, haha. I dunno what my point is, maybe that Noida is better than South Delhi? ;)
ReplyDeleteKishore Krishna is however, making me feel better right now. As is my muse Mr. Wilder.
Pink Moon, it'd be so punk rock if you hocked a loogie on the Games Village. I urge you to go ahead with your baser instincts! And I told Vani to tell you to check out the Strange Boys (And Girls Club)lp if you like the band you hyperlinked in your blog. And I'm following you, see? Do I have a chance now? :D
ReplyDeleteSay 'yeah!' if you think this is a tad creepy.
Queer Fishy, I asked my friend Zeno if he'd do a solid to hook you up with Anand, and as I told you before he has a gf. You are welcome to break a happy home, but in case that doesn't work out, when Droz becomes gonzo-U2 big, you have first dibs on all 3 of us (and our unsullied, girly bodies). :P
ReplyDeleteHaha.I wouldn't know where to find a 'loogie' but yes,I totally would.thank you for appreciating my baser instincts...they are hated on a lot.
ReplyDeleteI'm very excited about having two followers, so yeah!, anyway :)
Vani, you didn't tell me bout no band?and go ahead bro,break a home,be a women.pyaar mein paagal and all. who's zeno?can't see your profile,sap.think it's time you tell us who you really are.
A loogie is to be found in the deep recesses of one's mucus lining. :) I'm sure you'll instinctually know what to do next time you're in the vicinity of the games vilage.
ReplyDeleteAnd, aw, I was kinda hoping you wouldn't say 'yeah!' at the creepy bit, but i like the double entendre part too. :D
Zeno is my friend, old money jew from new york city with showbiz connections.
Vani, i hate using you as a conduit (but then I'm no stranger to using women), but check email and do as I asked, please?
See, Pink Moon, I don't have a profile on this thing, and it's hard sharing intimate details here. Step forward, Vani.
Would it be less creepy/creepier if i said 'kittens rainbows' before I ask a/s/l? i am saptarshi and I live in upstate new york. you?
-welikeyoko
Strange Boys - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4crqVdIXyUk
ReplyDeleteThey're like black lips after an assault by bringing it all back home era bob dylan.
Did they really put Black Lips in jail in Chennai? That's kind of sad, if true.
another 'about me' nugget - http://www.last.fm/music/DROZ