I just watched The Social Network. Mark Zuckerberg is insane.
I have all the symptoms of an honest facebook victim- I know everyone from 'somewhere'. I check first thing in the morning-last thing in the night. I refresh my home page at least three times when I've logged in. At my worst times of addiction, I have found myself deep into the night staring at a complete stranger's face-physically incapable of clicking the logout button. I curse facebook ON facebook.
Everything is fast and pretty and in your face and it's always calling on you to click and know what it's saying. You can be anybody. Know anybody.
What should take a second continues for endless hours.
You don't need to worry about making a first impression anymore. You've already made one.
Everyone else's life is just a click away. As is yours.
I cannot decide if facebook is good or evil, but what I do know that is a complete and absolute social and psychological revolution. For better, or for worse.
When I know how to put this better, I will.
And please don't tell me that you're ON facebook but it 'doesn't matter'. I'm too deep inside to buy that shit.
The world is not a small place. Facebook is.
Now if you will excuse me, I need to go update my status.
I have all the symptoms of an honest facebook victim- I know everyone from 'somewhere'. I check first thing in the morning-last thing in the night. I refresh my home page at least three times when I've logged in. At my worst times of addiction, I have found myself deep into the night staring at a complete stranger's face-physically incapable of clicking the logout button. I curse facebook ON facebook.
Everything is fast and pretty and in your face and it's always calling on you to click and know what it's saying. You can be anybody. Know anybody.
What should take a second continues for endless hours.
You don't need to worry about making a first impression anymore. You've already made one.
Everyone else's life is just a click away. As is yours.
I cannot decide if facebook is good or evil, but what I do know that is a complete and absolute social and psychological revolution. For better, or for worse.
When I know how to put this better, I will.
And please don't tell me that you're ON facebook but it 'doesn't matter'. I'm too deep inside to buy that shit.
Jesse Eisenberg is pretty damn good.
The world is not a small place. Facebook is.
Now if you will excuse me, I need to go update my status.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe reason I'm not on Facebook is primarily because the people who I want to keep in touch with already know where to find me, and the people who want to keep in touch with me should be able to put in more work than a simple click. :D
ReplyDeleteI crave letters instead of wall posts, but that's just how I am.
Also, I don't like having my whole life plastered over the internet (says someone with a blog, hahaha)
That said, it's fun to laugh at people and shit. And it is good for people who actually want to stay in touch with others.
it's EVAALL.
ReplyDelete@sap-what did you delete?
this post is a bit stupid. i have lost all ability to be profound.
Queer Fish, oh how I agree with you. You have no idea how much. And I've really missed getting your letters. You should really write. To me, to me. Me, me. Meme.
ReplyDeletePink Moon - "Speaking of first impressions, I dislike that you 'liked' Burberry. So suck it." or something like that.
ah.pleasant.
ReplyDelete@v i prefer letters over wall posts too man.any day. but they're completely different spheres of communication.public vs private.a wall post is for a larger audience than just one person.it's not like an email or message.i'm only explaining the phenomenon,not defending or justifying anything.
ReplyDeleteThe public nature of this is why I deleted it I guess. The other day I left a comment on my friend's google reader post on coupland, which went - 'I stopped reading him, ever since you told me he was gay', and later deleted it cause it wasn't a private jokey message. The mini drama that would've been the fall out, I could do well without.
ReplyDeleteIn this case, third parties would probably not get the facetious nature of our communique. It might even offend. So.
Except in the original, I'd said, 'Strike one, Deepak' instead of suck it. Cause I don't think I've ever wilfully said 'suck it'.
Cause ya know how classy 'suck it' sounds..and I'm anything but.
ReplyDeletei actually really like 'suck it'.
ReplyDeleteof course you do, you're way sophisticated. you don't even like being called 'kisan'. :P
ReplyDeleteHappy Diwali.