Sunday, February 27, 2011

Watching uncensored versions of the Roadies auditions to satisfy my reality TV fix. Our country is full of absolutely fascinating madmen. 
But I love this guy.


I have always been extremely frightened of any sort of medical encounters. I hated my pediatrician and used to cling for dear life to every piece of furniture in my house when it was time for a usual check up. I detested injections and blood tests and behaved like a survivor of war every time I came out of one. I used to bunk school for at least two days after an injection, claiming I was 'too weak' and 'you didn't know how much it hurt okay!'. Ma has her own hindi film kahani for this phobia. She claims that when I was two, I was diagnosed with a hole in my heart, because of which some quack doctor ('recommended by your FATHER'S family!!') put me in a large machine and did many weird things to me that she or I cannot remember. I was obviously too little to comprehend the fear of the entire thing but ma ke dil ke upar kya guzri thi, tumhe kya pata! Instead of getting one tight slap for all my stupid drama to escape medical cure I usually got 'That's why you're so scared, It's okay, I understand, I'm scared for you too.' 
Eventually I grew out of my fear, but kept my survivor of war attitude post any treatment. When I was diagnosed with Typhoid, they inserted an intravenous into my right palm which I wore to school just to show everyone how brave I was. T'was awesome. 


Yesterday, I had my very first dentist appointment. After spending sleepless nights crying 'fuck ma I can't take it no more i wish i didn't HAVE teeth MAAR DALO MUJHE' , I decided it was time. My mother, smug as ever, after putting me through a long painful lecture-  'Smokers always have bad teeth and bad lives. I keep telling you not to smoke because you will DIE Sharanya, you WILL...die'. After which my father called to contribute- 'I don't want ANYTHING else from you beta, just rinse your mouth after every meal. That's all I'm asking from you in life'. Why thanks for dreaming big for me dad. 
So I plucked up all the courage I wasn't sure I had and visited my very first dentist- Dr PM.
PM was a not so attractive, extremely calm, stern man. Which I think was perfect. 
'So you have a million fillings and your teeth are well, dying. Apart from a little drilling it's going to be almost painless.' ALMOST!?!! Thanks, Dr Precise! 
But he was right. Apart from the initial glimpse of that gigantic chair which looks an instrument made only for savage murder, and the omfg there are needles in my mouth(!!!), it was nothing much. Some parts, where he put this pipe that I think puffed out air?? into sections of my gums was actually fun. After PM has resurrected some teeth and saved the others from dying, I felt alive once again. I have vowed, as you all must, to brush before I sleep. Maybe even get one of those cool motor brushes. 
There is a banner in my colony offering free dental checkups that reads FREE ORAL. 


Looking at the Brown University website to find motivation to study. 
Because one day I definitely need a break from humaar pagal-khana.  But I have made no visible progress, yet. Par ek din hum bade aadmi banke dikhayenge. 
I have to pull an all nighter again because I am STILL staring at my desktop looking for everything to do except start writing my fucking paper. 
Also, Twitter > Facebook. 




2 comments:

  1. I once went stoned for a root canal-one of the worst decisions I ever made-blacked out for a while on the goddamn chair.
    And man, you're writing a research paper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying!!but the www has stolen my soul as per usual.it's due tomorrow morning and I haven't written a word yet.

    ReplyDelete