If you are male, read at your own risk. Or just don't.
The Sartorialist is in the process of changing my life. One of the prime fashion influences all over the world, he doesn't say that you have to be skinny or tall or have perfect skin to be beautiful. You just have to be yourself in the best way possible. It's one of the most inspiring blogs I've encountered and absolute,pure art.
I remember the first time I discovered I was girl was when Britney wanted baby to hit her one more time. I learnt the dance and did it in my room over and over again. There was another instance when I realized that I had started having the hots for one of the Famous Five- Dick, was incidentally the one I chose.
When you're growing up you always had to fit into being a certain type of girl. There were the mean girls, the other girls(the victims), the ones no one cares about, the victims who become mean girls, the apparent lesbians. It's ridiculous. If you were one sort of girl you immediately hated the other sort. In my school though, all the social tyranny of girl world was more inherent than on the surface.
I grew up not being one of the girls that all the boys liked and the all the girls wanted to be like, so I started to believe that those girls were stupid. If you were pretty and dressed well, you were obviously stupid. Because I was so smart, I didn't need to look good. I was above that superficial shit.
All that going to a girls college has taught me, as much as I hate it, that categories of women aren't as stiff as we make them to be.
I discovered that I like to feel pretty, and be checked out, and all my inbuilt pseudo feminism needs to go out of the window. And there's nothing stopping me from being smart, and wanting to look good at the same time.
So i went from erasing my fear of fashion (disguised by apparent contempt) to thriving in the excitement of it. I refuse to be any category of person, or woman and can only be what I feel at the exact moment that I'm in.
Which is why I have courageously decided to write this overtly cheesy, 16 year old post.
I watched both these films one after another which have aggressively ignited the 'you go girl!' inside me.
(Anna also back in the day, dated Bob Marley. score! What mismatched perfection.)
aaaaanddd give it up for the best movie of all time!!
So totally rad.
Like Tarantino, and Shaggy, I now believe in the strength of a woman.
Favorite swagger songs:





"4 for you Glen Coco, you go Glen Coco!"
ReplyDelete"One time Regina punched me in the face...it was AWESOME"
Suspected lesbians (half true!) for the win brotha.
Main feel mein hoon as you know. It comes from singing really loudly when you're drunk. Tell Max not to sulk, I will be back soon with the nekkid ladiz all around. I'm doing sleazy things on your blog again.
That girl does remind me of me, too. Tripped out clothes and poker face is the way to go (headphones too!)
I don't know anything about Wintour, but whatever I've read from Gaultier's interviews he's a really smart guy.
If you need advice or directions on New York City, on style, on how to appear as a debonair individual despite interior feelings of despair, let us know.
ReplyDelete