Sunday, April 3, 2011

Band Baaja Baarat

As a Dilliwala, born and bred, I always have my defences on. Any other day on the road to India gate would have been a regular pain in the ass. As an uncle in a white honda city tried to cut into the lane infront of me I opened my mouth to scream but ended up smiling and letting him pass. 'Sirf aaj uncle. Aaj ab bhi chutiya nahi ho'. The same windows of cars that usually had curses hurling from them at all times of the day, this time had love and brotherhood and a collective consciousness of absolute joy. It was untellable. magnificent. revolutionary.intense. I have no words to describe what I felt and saw yesterday. When Dhoni hit the last six leading us to the cup, I remember looking at my dad sitting quietly on his chair, with one single tear streaming down his face. As soon as we realized what had happened, there was no containing our happiness. I jumped high up in the air doing  and continued a victory jig for half an hour, and everyone else lost in their own ecstatic madness. I remember V shouting 'CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT'S US THE CUP IS OURS CAN YOU BELIEVE IT LOOK AT THAT CAN.YOU.BELIEVE.IT!!!!?!!!!?'. 
Aaj hum sab Hanumaan the. (Ironically, you know what they say- Jo haara,WOH bandar.)
Aur Lanka jal gayi thi.

What I think was the world was on the streets. Everyone was leaning out of their cars waving flags,drinking beer, smoking pot, screaming INDIAAAAAAAAA and YOOOO and YAAAAAAAAA and MAACHOD DIIIIIIII, dancing to all possible hindi songs in the world. 'Aye haye 95 fm-angrezi gaane nahin sunne yaar!!'. People had stopped their cars and were dancing on the street, only to be joined by everyone else. The traffic moved an inch an hour, but I grinned at my fellow drivers on the road not giving a fuck about when we'll reach. We were all going the same place for the same reason. There was zero animosity and infinite love on Delhi roads, which is only a miracle. I do not know how many thousands of people there were at India Gate last night(morning) but for one night, we were all one. No eastdelhi southdelhi northindian southindian dps modernschool karolbagh abbeohgandu terimakiankh. Kal, SAB bhai the. I have never seen my country erupt like it did yesterday. Just when you thought it couldn't get better(after IndiaPak), it did. Kal raat holi thi, diwali thi, sabki shaadi thi.  
I cannot believe I lived to see this day. I think I want to have kids JUST to tell them about it. Still overcome with happiness and cannot articulate. 
MS Dhoni, you are the world's biggest star today,tomorrow,and for always. I love you hamesha Team India. 
My heart is blue.




Tumhaare hawaale hai watan sathiyon.
You RULE,boys. 





6 comments:

  1. Dhonnerrrsss gives me a bonnerssss!!

    Just wanted to say that to someone! ahhah now i will read this

    ReplyDelete
  2. was your dad like this? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ozVMxzNAA

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUCK YEAH India,
    I am so jealous u went to india gate! grrrrr
    I need to learn how to freaking drive

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay i have to admit,i'm not really a cricket enthusiast,but even i was glued to the t.v. on sat night!
    the men in blue sure did us proud..and that last six was friggin unbelievable!
    truly a proud moment for us indians!

    http://thesartorialdiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, dude, you're a maniac--hyper romanticism and shite, or was it really like that? I was holed up inside as always so I have no clue. BTW let me know whenever you get the certificates, and on a day when you're free.
    Cheers
    PS: I have to admit it was a strange heartening realization that crores of fellow idiots were reveling in the same vain feeling

    ReplyDelete
  6. @classy learn soon!and get a license. I obv don't practice what I preach.
    @sartorial I'm not a cricket enthusiast either, but it feels like we've conquered the world,not just won a match.dhoni is the shitniz.
    @marvel it WAS like that I promise! I shall get your certificate and cheers soon,in person.

    ReplyDelete